Trying to live life...with a stupid ED in my head!

July 30, 2008

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the support! It really does mean a lot to me. Next, I think I've changed my mind. I'm not going to post pictures of my meals or even say what I am eating, because then this would be just another food blog. I want this to be a support center, not a health food blog. Of course we can talk about food, but I want the main focus of this blog to be helping and encouraging each other. I hope that you guys still continue to read!

My day started off alright. I rolled out of bed around 7:45 and threw my hair on top of my head, changed, and, the best part of Wednesday mornings (sarcasm, of course), got on the scale. My mom weighs me because the nutritionist just wants to make sure that the eating plan is causing my weight to go up. Today I stayed the same (I stand backwards, but my mom tells me the direction we're moving in). Its quite discouraging, but over the weekend I did get a little big off track. Then I was off to dance team practice. I'm on the dance team for my high school. I LOVE to dance. Its been my favorite part of life since I was 5. We had a good practice, nothing too tiring. I had another loungy day; I even took a nap, which I hate doing. Now I am just hanging out until dinner, then my sister and I are going to the movies. We're either seeing Wanted or Step Brothers, I'm not quite sure yet. I'm hoping Step Brothers; I need a good laugh!

And I thought I'd open up a discussion...
Throughout dealing with your ED, who has been the most helpful to you? (mom, dad, friend, doctor, etc.) Discuss!



I also though I should introduce you guys to Otis, my 110 pound boxer. He's the cutest, sweetest dog, I swear. And yes, he wears a Coach collar =]


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think its great that you're doing this! Although, i really do think that pictures of what you eat day by day will make your blog more interesting and catch more attention.. Just because you'd have pictures does not mean it'll be "just another food blog," because it isn't. It'll help us girls see what we should be eating in recovery.

If you really think about it, many of your readers enjoy food blogs since that's where you're advertising your blog from (i.e. katheats) and wouldnt mind a few more pictures of food..

i hope that you'll think about it! thanks.

Anonymous said...

I think that you're showing great bravery and initiative in starting your blog, and I applaud your effort in recovery. As far as support in recovery, my mom is definitely the person who I turned to the most. She was the first person I went to when I began to realize I had a problem, and she was the only one I felt like I could trust, even before I began trusting myself again. I owe a lot of my recovery to her patience and support, and I don't know how I will ever repay her for the dedication she gave me. Again, I think the blog is a great idea, thanks for starting it!

Anonymous said...

My Dr. he said. . .

"You look pretty now. But you would look really beautiful if you weighed about fifteen pounds more."

He's very healthy and active himself [unlike my parents]. So I trust his opinion.

My mother was vital also though. She was the one who came crying to my room at night afraid that I might die any moment. That was a wake up call.

Unknown said...

No pics is fine of course! I kind of thought that it might not be a good idea since this is an ed support blog and posting pics of food might be triggering for us because it might feel like we need to compete or something. Good choice. I don't know if it is a girl thing, but my mom is definitely the one who has been the most supportive and helpful. She is always the one I go to when I am struggling or need reassurance. I love my dad, but I just feel more comfortable going to my mom since she is the one who started noticing the problem and making calls and doing research on different treatment programs. My mom is the best (most of the time, the other times ed HATES her, but that is just ed you know) and I don't know what I would do without her. But of course, she always reminds me (as we all need to remind ourselves) that our moms, dads, etc. are not always going to be there for us and we need to learn how to rely on and reassure ourselves too, which seems like the biggest struggle sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I haven't actually been diagnosed with an ed, I just have had issues with food starting about 1 1/2 years ago. I'ts getting better though, I just really want to look healthier and be at a healthier weight and look like all of my friends. I'm not even sure why I'm commenting, I think i just wanted to type and let it out in a way. Any tips to gain weight would be appreciated though! I think I eat pretty good and try to eat 3 meals and lots of snacks because I really do love food.

Anonymous said...

And I didn't mean TRY to eat 3 meals a day I DO eat 3 meals a day.

Daisy's Daily Doses said...

I think what you are doing is great. I think its good to have a support group out there. I know people have suggested pictures of food but I have read that doing so is a trigger for people with ED. That being said I think maybe we should all focus on more discussion. You can tell us what you are personally going through and we will do the same.

I would say my biggest supporter in this has been my sisters. I still struggle with bulimia myself and have for about 4 years. I am 27. So it is very difficult.

I want to know how many people reading this are in therpay currently?

Hey Ed, Screw You! said...

Anonymous-
If you're maintaining your current weight, I would suggest maybe adding some Ensure (if you can deal with the icky taste!) or maybe some high calorie things such as nuts, nut butters, you know, healthy fats. Ice cream doesn't hurt either...=]

kristylaverne said...

The biggest help in my ED right now is my brother in law. I have a tendency to binge if I'm even in the vicinity of sweets. Rog (brother in law) knows this, and so whenever I want something sweet, I'll ask him, "Can I have a giant piece of cake??" And he says, "Swear to God Kristy... NO!" In a joking way, we laugh, I don't binge, and all is right with the world. I like that I can turn this serious situation into something more light-hearted and once I'm laughing I think, I didn't want that gallon of ice cream anyway!!

Also, last year I was in a treatment program with a group therapy session. The girls there were a great help! We kept touch through e-mail for a bit, but it's kind of fallen off. Which is okay, I'm just really glad that I had their support during the harder times. It made it easier knowing that other girls were going through the same things and it made me feel like maybe I'm not THAT big of a nutcase, and I can work through everything.